Wednesday, December 28, 2011

good memories

i went to bed tonight early for a change...but couldn't sleep! i was thinking about my grandpa who passed away a year ago this week! i have such good memories of him and my grandma both! i will never forget walking into their house and hearing my grandpa say "whoo whoo" when he heard us walk in or my grandma sending us straight to her Tupperware cookie containers! i can even remember the way their door sounded when we walked in! it was one of those screen doors that shut easily and sounded almost like a snake, "siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssss" then BAM smacked shut! 

i went from those memories to thinking about visiting my grandpa in his nursing home. :( so so so sad! i hated that place and would cry every time i left! he was always so happy and cheerful when we came though! and even though he didn't always remember who we were he always had a smile on his face and would wave like crazy! i took hunter in one day and said "look grandpa, its hunter!can you say hunter?" he couldn't get it quite right and the closest he got to saying it was "punta" haha! we all laughed and so did he! he was just happy we all were there! he always wore his Perry panthers hat too, which looked adorable on him! 


grandpa and hunter aka punta :)

sunday afternoon visit

shooting some hoops :)


he was so happy and just a lover of life and people! he would do anything for you! he bought my parents a van one day! my mom always tells me the story how they needed a new car,and were praying about getting a new one but didn't tell anyone. one day my grandpa picked them up and said "let's go, pick out any car you want" not only did he take care of people meeting their needs,but he was the sweetest ever to my grandma when she got sick with Alzheimer. he was taking care of her himself, then had someone help him for a bit but it was getting too tough and eventually the family decided to put her in a nursing home. he was there holding her hand literally everyday, fed her every meal and would just sit by her bed! their love so reminded me of the movie the notebook which is why i cant watch it because it makes me sob!

at my grandpa's funeral, the main focus was his love for my grandma his family and people! one day i will want to be remembered for my love for God, my family, for people! i want to make an impact on people's life, from my family members, to even just random people who pass me by! 

what kind of impact do you make on people's life?
something to think about!


p.s. still miss my grandparents bunches, but so glad i have such wonderful memories and know they are in a way better place! :)

2 comments:

  1. Liv, I love this. The Notebook reminds me of them as well. I never got the chance to tell you about your wedding day...i sat next to Gramps and the minute i sat down next to him he took my hand and held it through the whole ceremony, squeezing it, patting it with his other hand. He never let it go until we left the our seats. I sat there with soft tears running down my cheeks, feeling so touched and loved, thinking that this must be how it was to be Grandma, to be loved so intensely as he loved her, loved us all...even in his sickness and hers! Thanks for your kind words as i too have been thinking about the blessing Grandma and Grandpa Laps were to my family and myself. Love you!
    AnnaLeigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Anna! That's so sweet! He was such a sweetheart! I miss him a ton! So glad that we have such great memories of them!!! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete